How to write your Staff Application

Feb 19, 2017
A lot of people on this server want to become staff, but only a few people get accepted every now and then. Why is that?

One of the main problems is mostly the application. But how do I write an application that meets the expectations of the management team?
I'm here to help you with that.

The first main issues that a lot of applications have is bad spelling and bad grammar. We want people in the staff team who are dedicated and put in a lot of effort to improve the server. Now, if your applications has a lot of problems with both spelling and grammar, you will most likely not get accepted, no matter what.

Let's look at the first question, and an example of how not to do it:

Why would you like to be staff?
id love to be a staff and i like help poeple alot and im super active and i wnat 2 imrprove the comunity

* Just an example I made myself, it is not from a real application

Let's go through the issues together. First, we'll look at the most basic issues:

1. The sentence does not start with an uppercase letter. Also, it's not "id" but "I'd" or "I would". Always start your sentence with an uppercase letter and use apostrophes when using short forms of verbs (e.g. I would - I'd).
  2. Check your spelling! For example, in this sentence we have "poeple", "alot", "wnat", "imrprove" and "comunity". Some of those, e.g. "wnat", are mistakes you usually make when you type too fast without checking if you're actually writing correctly. Others are ones you think are spelled differently than they actually are, e.g. "comunity" in this case. If you're not sure how to spell a word, google it (or bing or yahoo or which search engine you like to use). You can also use online spell checking tools to speed up the progress.
  3. "a staff" does not make a lot of sense, unless you would love to be Gandalf's staff. A better way to say this would be "a staff member" or just "a helper". Always check your grammar, read through your sentences and make sure everything makes sense. Other examples in this short text would be "i like help poeple alot" - "I like to help people a lot"
  4. Capitalize the " I ". Seriously, this is one of the best indicators if someone is professional and / or put effort into that application. If you never follow that rule, you probably won't get accepted.
  5. Don't chain together too many different sentences with the small but insanely useful word "and". If you read a sentence which is too long and never comes to an end, you'll forget what you read at the beginning once you're at the end. Yes, you can use the word "and" to chain together two sentences, but never use it to chain together three or more sentences. Also don't use it when listing things, e.g. "We need water and sugar and milk and eggs and....". It confuses the reader and is not professional at all.
  6. Use commas. Sentences like "I wanted to meet him but he wasn't there so i went home opened my laptop started Minecraft and went to play on Prime". This confuses the reader and isn't professional either. How would you write it otherwise? An example would be: "I wanted to meet him, but he wasn't there. That's why I went home, opened my laptop, started Minecraft and went to play on Prime". Also use it to list things, e.g. from the previous example: "We need water, sugar, milk, eggs, ..."
  7. Always end your sentences with a "." - It's a small thing, but most employers will look at details such as this to make their decision, as it reflects the amount of effort you put in the application.
  8. Always write in Standard English. Do not use numbers instead of words, e.g. "I want 2 improve, 4 me, m8, ...". Also don't use "Broken English" such as "I rly lik doin tis becuz itz cool." It's not professional at all.
Aight, what does our sentence look like now?

I'd love to be a staff member, I like to help people a lot. I'm super active and want to improve the community.

Compared to the old version:

id love to be a staff and i like help poeple alot and im super active and i wnat 2 imrprove the comunity

Yep, definitely looks a lot more professional now. It's not even as hard as everyone thinks it is. You don't have to use some kind of "sophisticated language", you just have to pay attention to not make mistakes.

Now for the advanced tips on how to write your application.
  1. Don't just answer each question with one single sentence. It makes it look like you spent zero effort making the application. Mostly, i'd say that more is more, just don't go overboard with a 3000 word essay or something since no one would ever read through that.
  2. Think before you answer. Don't just answer them on the spot. For example, the first question: "Why would you like to be staff?" - Don't just answer "I'd love to be staff, i want to help people, I'm active and want to help the community". That's not really enough. Think about it. Why do you want to become staff? What are your expectations? Why did you apply now and not one week before / after?
    This is what i wrote in my application (looking back there are a few things I'd actually change, they will be highlighted in green / striked through if I'd delete it, and underscored if I forgot to capitalize the i):

I would like to be a staff member to help the players (mostly the new ones) in survival. I can do so already, i know, but being part of the staff team seems more trustworthy to newer players. Also, since only a few staff members are play on survival, and not for long never stay there for long, it would help.
    Also, i occasionally play on prison too, same goes for there (although i am not that experienced in that gamemode, but i could still help)

In addition, I want to become
    a staff member so i can support the survival server more than i can right now.

Yes, you might think "Oh if you made so many mistakes as well but still got accepted, then why even bother correcting them?". But trust me, there's enough that can go wrong, so always try to not have things go wrong.
  3. Write your application so you won't look at it after a year and think it's cringy. I am guilty of this as well (e.g. the mistakes I made above), but we always learn and mostly improve as well. The more effort you put into it, the better it will be.
  4. Realize that you will make mistakes -we all do since we are not perfect - and you won't notice them even after sending the application. That's why you have to remove all obvious mistakes, because trust me, you will make enough mistakes.
  5. Be careful with your formatting. When giving a lot of information in one question, don't just put it all in one block. Use paragraphing. Let's just look at two examples and decide which one you'd rather read:
Option A)
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.

Option B)
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.

Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.

Yep, I'm quite confident that you would choose Option B. This is the way you will want to use paragraphs in your application:

Paragraph 1 - Packet of information 1​
Paragraph 2 - Packet of information 2​
Paragraph 3 - ....​

You'll want to use this technique instead of just putting all the different packets of information in one paragraph since it helps the reader focus on that packet of information, process it and move on to the next. If you put it all in the same paragraph, it'll look like a pain to read and it'll be much harder to read.

Now, let's finish with the remaining tips for your application.
  1. Barely meeting the requirements will not be a guarantee to get accepted in any case. You have to meet the requirements to have a chance to get accepted. If you just meet them barely, and are still lacking in other aspects such activity or in game behaviour you probably won't get accepted. That's why I strongly recommend to not instantly apply as soon as you meet the requirements, but rather apply once you have more experience than required since that will give you a higher chance of success. I recommend that you:
    1. have more than 50 posts. Some time ago, the requirement was reduced from 100 posts to 25. However, to properly understand how the forums work and to get used to the rules you should have at least twice that amount in my opinion. It can be a problem if you only have 25 posts and a few of those are considered post farming, since the posts have to be meaningful - post farmed posts aren't, so your amount of meaningful posts would be less than 25 resulting in getting denied.
    2. do not farm all your 25 (though i recommend 50 as mentioned above) posts in a matter of 2 or 3 days. If you do so, your posts will most likely be of low quality and therefore reduce your chances of getting accepted. Try to always keep the quality of your forum posts as high as possible.
  2. Try to show that you are mature both on the forums and in game. Show that you can deal with conflicts, help people and are not toxic. The age requirement is mainly to ensure that all staff members are mature enough for their role, so acting like a 8 year old will decrease your chances of getting accepted.
  3. Try to have experience on each gamemode. Staff members are supposed to be able to help players on all gamemodes, so you shouldn't only play on one of the gamemodes.
  4. Do not have any recent punishments. You will not get accepted as a staff member if you have 15 warnings by the console for swearing in the last week. If you have those in your history, maybe wait a week or two before applying.
  5. Do not instantly apply again after getting denied. Unless all the problems for which you were denied are resolved, you won't get accepted that fast. And since those problems can't be resolved in a day or two, you'll get denied and just decrease the amount of future applications you can make. Keep in mind that you are limited to three denied applications at most.
  6. If you decide to apply again after getting denied, rewrite your whole application. Plagiarism, no matter in what form, will instantly get your application rejected and you might lose your right to apply again in the future.
If you follow those tips, you will most likely get accepted in your next application. Good luck!

If you think I forgot something or have a question, feel free to reply to this thread. If you find any spelling mistakes, please tell me in a direct message as I didn't spell check this text ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apr 2, 2017
Great post. Lots of helpful tips and it's assuring since it came from a mod. I'm thinking of applying for helper, I just have to play more on other game modes.

Mar 15, 2020
i would like to be a helper on the server because i like to help people on the server it gives me a good feeling, and i want to help the server to be better and that more
people play the primemc server. and play every gamemode.

Dec 1, 2015
i would like to be a helper on the server because i like to help people on the server it gives me a good feeling, and i want to help the server to be better and that more
people play the primemc server. and play every gamemode.
You need to make a post in Staff applications, not here
Also, read the requirements first

Ataxirilon

Junior Moderator
May 28, 2016
+1 Should ask Kaos or Sophie to Sticky this guide with staff applications.